- Butcher, or Smallgoods Maker
- preparing meat for sale by removing bones, trimming fat and cutting, mincing and grinding meat to shape and size for display or as ordered
- preparing crumbed cuts of meat, and marinating, seasoning and curing special cuts
- selecting and preparing meat to produce smallgoods
- operating machines to grind, mix, mince and tenderise meat
- making seasonings and pickles by mixing spices, salt and other ingredients
- operating sausage filling machines, smoking chambers, and cooking kettles and vats
- advising customers on the suitability and uses of cuts of meat
- may assist in menu planning and scheduling, and in estimating food production costs
A Certificate III/IV is usually needed to work in this job and the majority of workers have this qualification. Training is most commonly through an apprenticeship which combines on-the-job training with the qualification.
VET Course Providers:
New South Wales
Australian Capital Territory
For more information on required qualifications, click here.
ANZSCO ID 3512Act Now