Design chemical plant equipment and devise processes for manufacturing chemicals and products, such as gasoline, synthetic rubber, plastics, detergents, cement, paper, and pulp, by applying principles and technology of chemistry, physics, and engineering.
- Develop safety procedures to be employed by workers operating equipment or working in close proximity to on-going chemical reactions.
- Determine most effective arrangement of operations, such as mixing, crushing, heat transfer, distillation, and drying.
- Prepare estimate of production costs and production progress reports for management.
- Direct activities of workers who operate or who are engaged in constructing and improving absorption, evaporation, or electromagnetic equipment.
- Perform laboratory studies of steps in manufacture of new product and test proposed process in small scale operation (pilot plant).
Develop processes to separate components of liquids or gases or generate electrical currents, using controlled chemical processes.