Animal technicians help veterinary, medical, pharmaceutical, agricultural and general scientists and students to care for and check on animals used for research, breeding and scientific purposes.
- perform daily checks and record the health status and behaviour of animals in their care
- prepare food and water and provide care for laboratory, field or zoo animals
- look after zoo exhibits, holding or breeding areas and equipment
- assist in return-to-the-wild programs
- carry out experiments using animals, recording the results under supervision and according to relevant codes of practice, and the organisation’s animal experimentation ethics committee rules
- take samples of animal body fluids, faeces or tissue for analysis or veterinary inspection.